Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Day 9 - The Road Less Traveled.....

A little over 2 years ago I went through a horrific break-up. Well, it felt horrific to me. I thought I had met my soul mate, the one I was going to be with "forever". And then one day it all ended and it was over.

I remember the feeling of wanting to run away. I remember the feeling of not knowing where to turn. I remember the fear and anxiety that filled me. I look back at that guy and smile. If someone would have told me what a catalyst that break-up would be in my life I would not have believed them.

Fast forward to this weekend. I spent a full day with an amazing women, in an amazing city. As I was driving home I was replaying the last 24 hours and I felt struck by a conversation we had. I love how others in my life can act as a mirror and show me things I could never have seen on my own.

So, the road less traveled. I remember being at that choice point after my break-up and I decided to be someone totally new. I had always had a strong desire for freedom, adventure, travel, mobility. I decided during that time that I was going to make those aspects my dominate desire. I was going to look for those essences in all areas of my life. I had no plan of action. I just told the Universe that I was going to be open to whatever was put in front of me.

The first thing I remember feeling was that I needed to cleanse my lifestyle a bit. I started giving stuff away. I was a serious pack rat and a lover of things. I believed my things defined me and I needed to keep accumulating more and more to prove my worth. After asking for guidance I received notice to start giving stuff away. And I did.....tv, clothes, shelves, you name it....I gave it away. My goal was to reach a place where I could be mobile enough to move in one car load....and I am there.

Next I started hiking and exploring like a madman. I would travel to a new part of CA every chance I got. I started hiking 2-3 times a week. I signed up for a half marathon (still don't know why I did this I had never ran longer than 20 mins before). I became more interested in experience than anything. If I could do something new, something that pushed me I would.

I just kept following the flow of this. The more I noticed freedom, adventure, and mobility showing up the more they did. I started to play with the belief that the Universe is friendly and totally supportive. Angels started showing up from everywhere to support me. I ended up living with two people who became my best friends and I felt like part of their family. It was truly magical how it all unfolded.

Now for the mirror part. So when I meet new friends and tell them of my lifestyle the looks and responses range. I have become aware of two things. First, my need to defend my lifestyle or actually lack there of. I get it. I get why it seems strange and why it doesn't make sense to most people. Why would a highly functioning adult in his 30's not want a house...furniture....even a bed??? And I have no desire to defend it....in fact, I love the questioning of it because it causes me to go within for the answers.

Second, it has taught me how to better understand. I now know I cannot look at the "facts" of someones life and know what's going on. I could ask 7 of my closest friends what their take is on my lifestyle and I would receive 7 different answers all based on their beliefs and perceptions. It is so amazing to see this in my life and notice how often I do it.

So I will say this. I live my life the way I do because a few years ago I decided to walk the road less traveled. I decided I wanted to live authentically and really know myself. Know that I could find happiness and comfort and support without things. Know that the amazing Universe is friendly. And most importantly after two years of this I know I could have found it anywhere, living anyway. I have found the aspects within me and need not change a thing to experience it.

Sent with Love,

J

No comments: