Friday, September 19, 2008

Day 30- Half way through.....

Wow, I can’t believe it has only been 30 days. I remember when I was a child my parents would constantly say that time flies the older you get. I have not found this to be true. In my world time has slowed down. It feels like this past 30 days have been a year. I love it.

Lets talk about stories today. I remember sitting in my first apartment in CA feeling miserable. I had no job, living off credit cards, my girlfriend was clearly not into the relationship anymore and I felt a total lack of direction. Looking back I was definitely depressed because I was totally believing every thought above.

I pulled out a book by Neale Donald Walsch and was paging through it when I stopped on a page that I had highlighted and marked up. One sentence caught my eye, “Whatever is expressed and expressed, over and over, becomes just that, expressed”. I had to have read this at least 20 times before but this time it stuck.

I remember reading about Donald Trump when he filed for bankruptcy. He just shrugged it off, said something about it being a way to do business, and then went into a typical Trump rampage about how his next idea was going to be huge, a juggernaut. Here is a guy who knows how to tell a story.

“You have to begin to tell the story of you life as you now want it to be and discontinue the tales of how it has been or of how it is.”

So in that moment I made a decision that changed the direction of my life. I decided to stop talking about anything that didn’t feel good when I said it. I used to tell anyone who would listen that if I could just figure out what I was supposed to do with my life I would go at it like a crazy man. The dominant feeling of that statement was one of fear. I probably said that or something like that for almost a decade. And that day I just stopped. What I noticed was I instantly felt better.

The stories we tell over and over become expressed in our lives. What stories are you telling over and over? Is it about your health, money, job, relationships, family? And you say….but, it’s true! Maybe. This is not about right or wrong, it is about feeling better. Don’t take my word for it. Try it. Stop telling the stories and see how much better you feel. And if you really want to dig in notice how often you want to tell the story…….

No comments: